The Wyrley and Essington Canal

Virtual Walks Too far away to visit? Don't want to go out today? I've done it for you.

Warning! - The following access details were correct at the time of my walk - but may have now changed.

Back e-mail contact Disclaimer Home

 

Virtual Walks-1 From Anglesey Basin at Chasewater to Ogley Junction (or Anglesey Junction) (July 2000)
Anglesey Branch Canal - 1850
Visit the Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust web site to find out about the Trust that was formed in 1988 and is a registered charity. It campaigns for the restoration of the "Lichfield Canal" (as the closed section of the W&E between Ogley and Huddlesford is now called) and also the Hatherton Canal through the Cannock / A5 area. It promotes the restoration as public amenities for boating, angling, walking, cycling etc. and raises funds to carry out physical restoration work.
Looking along the dam of Chasewater or Norton Pool as it was previously known. This picture was taken during a particularly dry summer and the water level is well below the overflow culverts. Overflow water is taken via several pounds to the canal as shown later.
The Cannock Chase Reservoir (Chasewater) was opened in 1799 and feeds water to the whole of the current Wyrley and Essington, and beyond. Taken looking North.

From the other side of the dam and at the end of a wet winter. The water level is at maximum and the first overflow pound is full and draining into the second.
Taken looking Southwest.

Access from Pool Road (off A5 Watling Street).

Looking along the dam of Chasewater
(or Norton Pool)

The reservoir drained for major repair work.

(photo taken 3/9/2011)

Looking along the dam of Chasewater
(or Norton Pool) on the canal side.

When the reservoir was drained for major repair work.

(photo taken 3/9/2011)

Looking back to the dam of Chasewater or Norton Pool as it was previously known. Pool Road (off the A5 Watling Street) leads to this point.
The Cannock Chase Reservoir (Chasewater) was opened in 1799 and feeds water to the whole of the current Wyrley and Essington, and beyond.

Taken looking back West.

Access from Pool Road (off A5 Watling Street).
As at April 2015 the narrow access to towpath is now three feet wide as the obstructing post has been cut off at ground level.

Taken looking SouthEast.

Access from Pool Road (off A5 Watling Street).
As at April 2015 the narrow access to towpath is now three feet wide as the obstructing post has been cut off at ground level.

Overflow from Chasewater into canal.

Taken looking South.

Access along canal.

Bases of the two overhead coal-loading gantries.

Taken from opposite overflow looking East.

Access along canal.

Coal loading shutes from the path of the now removed colliery railway.

Taken looking South toward Wharf Lane.

Access from Wharf Lane may no longer be possible.

Burntwood Road Bridge (under Whitehorse Road) - Soon to be drastically altered by the BNRR (Birmingham North Relief Road). The new motorway toll road has now been officially named M6(Toll). The BNRR has caused the closure of the road link between Brownhills (Whitehorse Road) and Burntwood (Wharf Lane). The canal and towpath will remain.

Taken looking South.

NO access from Wharf Lane. Foot access to Whitehorse Road from the towpath after passing under the bridge.

Burntwood Road Bridge (under Whitehorse Road)

Taken looking back North.

NO access from Wharf Lane. Foot access to Whitehorse Road via the top right of this picture.

Freeth Bridge (under Watling Street) - This is the modern addition to carry the widened road of the early 1970s.

Taken looking South.

Access from The Watling Street (A5)

Freeth Bridge 1849 (under Watling Street) - The original part of the bridge. Named after the canal engineer, Mr. John Freeth (Clerk to the Birmingham Canal Navigation Co.), who was responsible for the building of the bridge when the Angelsey Branch was cut.

Taken looking back North.

Access from Watling Street (A5)

Aquaduct over railway. The railway line has now been removed but may be reinstated as a passenger railway or a tram line.

Left - Taken looking East (toward Middleton Bridge). Access along canal.

Right - Taken looking SouthWest from Newtown Bridge (A5). Access along canal (via Chase Road or The Watling Street).

Aquaduct over railway.

Taken looking back West toward aquaduct from under Middleton Bridge.

Access along canal.

Middleton Bridge (under Chase Road) - worn by the tow-ropes of horse-drawn narrowboats.

The bridge was named after William Middleton, a landowner and farmer of the area.

Taken looking East.

Access from Chase Road.

Middleton Bridge (under Chase Road).

Taken looking East.

Access from Chase Road at the other side of the bridge.

Anglesey Bridge (signed 1850) - (under Lichfield Road).

The poplar trees beyond the bridge mark the site of "The Chemical", a landmark up to the demolition of its tall brick chimney in 1987. Brownhills Chemical Works was opened in 1870, taking advantage of the canal to bring materials from the gasworks at the other side of Brownhills. From the Second World War aluminium alloys were smelted at the site. As "Super Alloys" scrap Gloster Meteor and Javelin aircraft where stacked at the works, awaiting recycling.

Taken looking back North from Ogley Junction (or Anglesey Junction).

Access from Lichfield Road.

 

Back e-mail contact Disclaimer Home

V1.7 - 2 May 2015 ---- recommended resolution (1366 x 768)

David Hodgkinson 2000-2015. All rights reserved.